Monday 24 January 2011

Joel-Peter Witkin and his corpsey photography



My friend Dan Wheeler was showing me some photographers he thought I might like, and he unleashed the enigma that is Joel-Peter Witkin. He was a very naughty man who used to dig up dead bodies and pose them in often recall religious episodes or famous classical paintings. I am intrigued in his work, it is so cold and haunting, he must of had a strong stomach to go messing about with corpses. He used alot of midget, haermaphrodite, mutated and transsexual corpses, what i want to know is, how the hell did he know where these midget/transsexual/mutated corpses were buried?! Or did he literally dig every grave up ever in some kind of twisted lucky dip?

Anyway, here are some images I enjoyed most.

No comments:

Post a Comment